"So promise me you'll never forget...that you aren't an accident or an incident...you are a gift to the world, a divine work of art, signed by God. You were deliberately planned, specifically gifted, and lovingly positioned on this earth...Flooded by emotion, overcome by pride, the Starmaker turns to us, one by one, and says, 'You are my child. I love you dearly.'" Max Lucado, God Thinks You're Wonderful







Thursday, March 15, 2012

Foster Care Support



Tomorrow we have our home study. Even though we should be old pros at this, I am still finding myself a little nutso on cleaning high and lo.


Our foster family got a placement about two weeks ago. We got to meet the kids the next day at the park, and celebrate a birthday with them the following week.


Wanna know how cool God is? When asking the foster mama if I could bring them some food she informed me that the little fella had type 1 diabetes. Shut.the.front.door!


We both got a little teary as I told her that I too had type 1, since I was 9. Oh it was so cool to get to talk about and answer questions and encourage both her and him. And how wonderful for her to know that she can leave him with us without having to worry about his diabetes care. We both giggled that we've never been so glad I had diabetes!!!


Back home in Oklahoma the shelters in both of the major cities remain crowded. Kids are having to sleep in the DHS offices. But I have so much hope that change is coming for these kiddos. Churches are beginning to understand the pivotal role they could have here, in caring for children.


So as Blake and I read the discipline guidelines for foster care and see that biting is not appropriate (what the?) we realize how desperate help is needed. Help with anything.

8 comments:

Norma said...

I love you, love your blog, love your heart for children, love your honesty and that you say what you think!! You always have...:) Just finished downloading movies of the new Gruenwald and Shockley homes!! NOT a professional photographer/ignore the gum chewing in the back ground... LOL... Have a super fun weekend with your sister and know this momma wishes she could be there... Love, Mom

Jamie said...

I don't know if I am behind on blogs, but I missed it.... Are you guys going to be doing foster care? Incredible. :). As always I am blessed and challenged by your heart for the orphan.

Molly said...

Jamie, we are doing foster care support. Our church encourages families to step into the foster care role, but also asks the rest of the church to support them, provide meals, transportation and respite care. They link every foster family up with 5 support care families!!! Unfortunately, our foster fam only has us, but it's better than nothing! We cannot do respite because of our family size vs apt size...but we can do daytime care, meals and transportation!

Molly said...

Jamie, we are doing foster care support. Our church encourages families to step into the foster care role, but also asks the rest of the church to support them, provide meals, transportation and respite care. They link every foster family up with 5 support care families!!! Unfortunately, our foster fam only has us, but it's better than nothing! We cannot do respite because of our family size vs apt size...but we can do daytime care, meals and transportation!

Kathleen said...

Molly,
I LOVE your blog! I check back often for sweet stories about your little ones or pictures....they are beautiful. We just adopted our first. Lyla is now 2 months old and full AA. She is the light of my life!
My friend (yours too) Rachelle Franz is always encouraging me to contact you! Haircare, skin care...and just care in general! :)
I love your heart for adoption!
I hope we can "chat" soon!

Kathleen
kathleenellis79 at gmail dot com

Jessica said...

I've been following your blog for the longest time. Kara Gowan Reid is one of my college friends (I found your blog through hers), and I also knew your sister Laura in college. I do training for a foster care/adoption agency in Houston, Texas. I think you and your family are just amazing and reading your blog encourages me. I've actually mentioned it in trainings as well, so I know you're gaining "fans". Thanks for all that you do.

Jessica Rice

Kara said...

As a foster parent we could so use someone like you! Thank you for your heart and willingness to follow His call!

Sweet Patience said...

Girl,
You are going to be a blessing. The help is definitely needed. I know that for sure. Keep being a blessing and shining your light to others!