- Tangle Teezer
- Comb Set (you can find these at WalMart)
- Styling brush
- Barrettes, beads, bands.
- Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
- Hair Lotion (I like Just for Me because it's cheap at Walmart & Target)
- Leave In Conditioner & Styling Gel- what I have found is that there is nothing magical, it's just what works for you and your child. This might be fun for your friends to just start a collection for you to try. I would recommend smaller bottles so that you can try them out.
- Aveeno lotion (gobs and gobs of this)
- Kids satin sleep cap
- Satin crib sheets (I had someone make them on Etsy)
- Books with black children/families in them (The Colors of Us, God's Dream, Brown Like Me, I love My Hair, Please Baby Please, We're Different We're the Same, What I like About Me, I love you More than Rainbows, Beautiful)
- Ethnic Decor and Christmas decor (pictures, nativity, angels, santa, ornaments-find lots online) We use pictures of our kids and their birth family, but some may not have that.
- Childrens adoption books (Forever Fingerprints, Families are Different, How I Was Adopted, When God Found Us You)
- Life Box-not necessarily an AA thing, just a great adoption gift. Some type of box to keep all her private adoption stuff in: pics of birthparents, any letters/cards or keepsakes from birth parents, finalization stuff, etc. We got ours at Things Remembered
- Reading for Mama: Twenty Things by Sherrie Eldridge, I'm Chocolate You're Vanilla, Black Baby White Hands, The Connected Child
- Resources for Mama: Ethnic restaurants, transracial playgroups, transracial workshops in the area, support groups for families of adoption, multicultural events in town. Someone could put together a list of these things for you.
- Dolls- We can find black baby dolls in most Targets and some Walmarts, but also check out DollsLikeMe.com (they also have biracial baby dolls)
The ultimate gift of love was made by a friend. She bought us the black and white versions of the book I Love You So Much. Then she cut and pasted them to make us a book that matched our transracial family!
Hope this helps! This might be a great way to share ideas if anyone has things they've found that they want to share!