"So promise me you'll never forget...that you aren't an accident or an incident...you are a gift to the world, a divine work of art, signed by God. You were deliberately planned, specifically gifted, and lovingly positioned on this earth...Flooded by emotion, overcome by pride, the Starmaker turns to us, one by one, and says, 'You are my child. I love you dearly.'" Max Lucado, God Thinks You're Wonderful







Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Stone Mountain Park- Part 2

The kids LOVED riding the SkyRide to the top of the mountain! Sadie said, "Issa moutin! HIYEEE moutin!" Emery's favorite thing on top was splashing in all the puddles! Our kids were quite the mess when we left, but isn't that what's supposed to happen when you play hard?


Stopping to take a peek, from here you can see downtown Atlanta.

Just off the gondola, sorry you can't see the incredible view behind me but I had to brighten the exposure of the picture so you can see my sweeties! This is a constant struggle we have with all of the different shades of brown in our family. I have to edit almost every picture of Emery to get her beautiful features to appear. Perhaps I need to save up for one of those fancy shmancy cameras? I have become quite good at editing and adjusting the exposure/contrast and all. This is the SkyHike. Its a family ropes course...here Sadie is dangling off the zipline! She loved it!!!


Cooper on the zipline. Shocker that Owen sped past me so I missed his photo op!


They had SOOO much fun and wanted to race through the course again and again. Insert a sweaty mom needing a ponytail holder!




Stopping for a little picnic.


Some more putt putt. It's quite a funny game. Somehow we have raised 4 extremely independent children. I have no clue how. Couldn't be that we are a wee bit stubborn ourselves. No. Not me. Sadie loves to play putt putt, but doesn't want to recieve instruction...she wants to do it Sadie style. Oh how redonkulous we look, I am sure. But we just giggle.


The kids at the lake. Emery wanted IN the water. She got so mad that I wouldn't let her in. A poor older woman was watching us from her car. Bless her heart she was terrified. From where she was, what I was allowing my kids to do looked terribly dangerous. And here I was encouraging it and photographing it. She got to hooping and hollering at me, but I couldn't understand a darn thing she was saying. Her daughter kindly explained she was worried about the kids. What do you say to this? I don't feel like I should apologize for letting my kids play on the bank of a lake. Aye yi yi. The awkward moments in parenting...


This was the second time this happened while we were at Stone Mountain Park. The first time a lady was grossed out because Emery had a messy face. Mkay people. For real? We are at a park, PLAYING. So what if she is covered head to toe in mulch and sand. She is exploring, learning and developing her senses. If this is not how you let your children grow, no problem. But don't judge me for letting her get into it. I watched parent after parent scowl at their kids, even yell at them to not go near the sandbox. I realize I am from Oklahoma, and I am a lil bit country. But while I am not forcing your kid to play like mine do, don't force me to clean my child up while she is playing so that you don't have to see it. This lady wouldn't let it go asking me if I didn't have tissues or wipes. "I have some. They are in the car." She offered to give me some. "We are good, but thank you." She wouldn't give up and proceeded to dig hers out and hand me one telling me to wipe her face. If it's not obvious I struggle with mommy guilt and self-esteem. The fact that Blake was gone and I had these two situations happen within hours of one another, I found myself stewing over them. Maybe they are right? Maybe I should be more cautious. Maybe I shouldn't let the boys climb and jump so much? Maybe, maybe, maybe.

Lord help me to follow you and only seek your approval. Please break me of my pride. The gap between what kind of mother I want to be and that which I am seems to be GAPING wide and overwhelming. Thank you for standing in that gap and using me just how I am...country and all. Thank you for trusting me with each of these angels. May I remember daily that I cannot be enough for them and that I must constantly teach them of their need for YOU. Help me to tell them of my mistakes as a mom and daily talk about needing You to live in me. As other moms give me advice help me to have patience and not be so dang prideful. Thank you for being my Savior and filling my heart with JOY.

3 comments:

Amber Bates said...

Dear Molly,
I've been following your blog for a little while now and I just wanted to tell you thanks for sharing so much. I know it's easier to say than to do but shake off what those other moms think. Kids are supposed to get dirty- it's even good for them to get dirty. And no matter what, you're their mom, not those other people, and you know what's best for them.
Cheers,
Amber

Sarah said...

Hi Molly,
I've been reading your blog for a couple of years now and have never commented before. I don't even remember how I stumbled onto your site, but I'm sure glad that I did. I'm a new-ish Mom and I constantly find you and your parenting style refreshing! I love that you savor your moments with your sweeties. I think you are doing an oustanding job with your kiddos. Kids NEED to get dirty and play hard. Good for you for not getting in the way of that.
Best,
Sarah

Jessica said...

Hello! I stumbled upon your blog a few months ago when I did a random search on Google for my maiden name "Shockley" :) So crazy that you guys are from Oklahoma because I grew up in Norman! I wonder if there is any connection?

Anyways, I just wanted to tell you that I am in love with your family, your parenting style, and just how much you love your kiddos and the adventures you guys go on! Even though you say you struggle with guilt and self esteem as a mom, it's obvious you know what you want for your kids and you are sticking to it! Don't let anyone try to convince you otherwise. Your kids always look so excited to be kids and that is so important and missing in today's environment. So give yourself a pat on the back and a hug because you are a great mom!!